Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:40:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Greg Lewis wrote:
> . PVFS	http://www.parl.clemson.edu/pvfs/
> . InterMezzo  http://inter-mezzo.org/

Thanks for the reading material.

> . GPFS  http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/clusters/software/gpfs.html

Anyone used this with Linux?  I tend to have faith in Big Blue's
engineering practices, in general they hire smart people.

> . Lustre	http://www.lustre.org/

"The central target in this project is the development of Lustre, a
next-generation cluster file system which can serve clusters with 10,000's
of nodes, petabytes of storage, move 100's of GB/sec with state of the art
security and management infrastructure. The 1.0 release of Lustre will
happen early 2002 and will target clusters up to 1,000 nodes with 100'TB's
of storage."

Quite the claim(s), anyone actually seen it work?

> Unfortunately I'd have to agree that Linux has better clustering support
> at the moment.  That is basically because more people (particularly the
> corporations and national labs) are working on cluster support for Linux.

Paraphrasing Jossie and the Pussycats (excellent pop culture commentary
;), "Linux is the new Windows."  So, indeed, no surprise here.

I don't think there's any 'pretty' FreeBSD clustering solution today...
Pretty meaning a combination of managability, stability, robustness and
correctness.  So, moving forward, can we reach a consensus on 'what's best
to try to port?'

I have to admit I'll be implementing a mini-itx cluster in my garage this
summer as a side project and may experiment with NFS, Coda, etc...
However, those solutions would not be feasible in my production
envrionments.  However, once the cluster is up, I'll be more than happy to
help some person or group implement and test better solutions.

--
Mike Hoskins		This message is RFC 1855 compliant,
mike@adept.org		www.adept.org/~mike/pub/rfcs/rfc1855.html