Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:31:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        bastill@sa.apana.org.au
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au, hamellr@heorot.1nova.com, Joe.Warner@smed.com, postmaster@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hello from russia!

> I think THIS is part of the problem - WHAT "experiences"?
> "Personal experiences" would be better, but not a complete description.

	personal experiences are good.  do we want to limit it to the
personal?  how about people that use freebsd at work.  they might want
to talk about their efforts to teach people new to freebsd....what
they did and how they did it.   i dont know what words to use here.
all those that i come up with excludee valid topics.

> This is another problem.  What is a "support question"?
> "Technical questions" might be better.

	"technical questions" sounds good...those should be sent to
freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org.   i'll add that in the info file.

> However, problems with wording would be completely solved with a simple name
> change to -newbiechat or similar.
> I cannot understand why a name change presents such a problem.  Could we at
> least be given an explanation?

	because at this point it seems to me that the problem is not
the name of the mailing list.  we can change that.  the problem is
people using the list for something other than its purpose.  perhaps
that purpose has changed over time and renaming the list is the best
thing to do.  i have not read newbies for quite a while.  i am hoping
that greg and sue, who i hope have been with the list for quite a
while, will express their opinion on the matter.

jmb