Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 15:43:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: new install(1) utility

> > not to mention the trouble we have at the moment with
> > man pages and that #$%^# gzip..
>
> Stolen from email Steven sent to me:
>
> if ( source.size != target.size || cksum.source != cksum.target )
>    Install the new one.
> else
>    /* They're the same, don't bother screwing with the timestamp */
>
> We get the added benefit of literally no overhead for the case when the
> sizes don't match, and the requirement of the two cksums if they do
> match.  My guess is the two cksums are faster than the 'cmp' step used
> in some of the makefiles.
>
> And, if we pre-build the compressed man-pages, we can do the comparisons
> at install time to determine if they need to be installed or not.

This is actually fairly easy to fix, and it should be.  Doing the gzip
in the installed man page area really trashes my /usr file system!!

After a make world I find that my /usr is usually fragmented >2%, before
it is under <.5%.

Also, I am of the opinion that the only thing being done during the
install phase is INSTALLING, not gzipping or otherwize munging files!

Almost to the point of having a ${PROG}.stripped rule (you'r cmp thing
in install is going to have to compare a stripped version of programs
or it will always fail for the standard binary case).