Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:15:50 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   NATD -use_sockets option question

Hi!

I have no enough experience with natd, so my question:

What does the natd's -use_sockets option?

`man natd' says:

	-use_sockets | -s
		 Allocate a socket(2) in order to establish an FTP data or IRC
		 DCC send connection.  This option uses more system resources,
		 but guarantees successful connections when port numbers con-
		 flict.

But in alias.h I see:

/* If PKT_ALIAS_USE_SOCKETS is set, then when partially specified
	links (e.g. destination port and/or address is zero), the packet
	aliasing engine will attempt to allocate a socket for the aliasing
	port it chooses.  This will avoid interference with the host
	machine.  Fully specified links do not require this.  */

I don't undestand the {FTP data connection} and {partially specified links}
relationship. What is it? Please, explain.

TIA,
---
Ruslan A. Ermilov	System Administrator
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank