Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 17:25:05 +0100
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        "Erik Funkenbusch" <erikf@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: Broken ipfw?

> After cvsuping on saturday natd has suddenly stopped working with the kernel
> I built on saturday and after cvsuping today and rebuilding as well.
>
> After executing an ipfw rule it responds with:
>
> ip_fw_ctl: empty interface name
> /sbin/ipfw: setsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid Argument

Using a kernel module for ipfw?  I used it preloaded by /boot/loader
and with a world (and kernel, of course) from last weekend the kernel
did see there was a preloaded ELF module but it never got integrated
into the system - ipfw's initial message during startup was missing
and I had a similar problem.  The result was a kernel without working
ipfw.

See PR kern/9178.  If anybody needs more details for this I can easily
reproduce the problem.  I still have a kernel w/o ipfw and could test
it.

> Any ideas?  I'm planning on rebuilding world to see if it was some fix to
> both kernel and natd, but I can't seem to find anything in the cvs list that

Adding IPFW to the kernel instead of using a module is what I'd
suggest to try.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.