Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 2020 10:19:56 -0700
From:      Josh Howard <bsd@zeppelin.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: big.LITTLE status for rk3399/rockpro64?

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 00:45:19 -0700,
Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
>=20
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 19:06:22 +0100
> Danilo Eg=EAa Gondolfo <danilo@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> > On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 6:27 PM Vincent Milum Jr <freebsd-arm@darkain.c=
om>
> > wrote:
> >=20
> > > I'm curious about this, too. I recently got the Pinebook Pro up and
> > > running, and would like to start testing all 6 CPU cores for doing
> > > compilation tasks.

> > > have

> >=20
> > The number of CPUs was limited here
> > https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D360321
> >=20
> > If you remove the hw.ncpu from your loader.conf you'll be able to use a=
ll
> > the 6 cores.
> >=20
> > Although the commit message mentions a "known issue" with the big.LITTLE
> > architecture, I was able to use all the 6 cores to rebuild the entire
> > system and I didn't face any issue.
> >=20
> > Maybe manu@ could give us some context about that.
>=20
>  On rockpro64 it was (it's been a while since I've tested) very easy to
> trigger a panic doing anything usb related (sometimes just inserting a
> usb thumb drive would triggers it). This is why I've disabled the big
> cores on the rockpro64 image.
>=20
> --=20
> Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>

Yes, anything USB related does seem to cause a panic still. Furthermore,
even without any USB device plugged in and hw.ncpu left alone, I've noticed
that the system will simply hard lock up after a relatively short period (2=
-24
hours) of time on both a Rockpro64 and a RockPi4. Connecting via UART doesn=
't
show anything interesting, it just simply stops working.