Date:      Sun, 04 Nov 2001 00:25:33 -0500
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICQ and NAT again.. :(

At 04:08 AM 11/4/2001 +0100, you wrote:

>Does this work for file transfers too? /me doesn't think so. File transfers
>require direct connection, that's what the range of listening ports are for
>if I am not completely mistaken...

I haven't tried one in ages to be honest, but I don't really feel the need
either.  I have email and ftp for file transfers.  I would imagine that ICQ
can tunnel the file transfers through the server connection just like it
does with the messages, although this may be a bit heavy on the bandwidth,
it doesn't seem that far fetched.. most people don't have a very big
upstream pipe anyway.

>I use that too (keeping state of connections) of course, so the traffic
>between me and login.icq.com on port 5190 should work without problems. It
>does
>indeed work; if it didn't how could ICQ even connect and go online?

It wouldn't ;)

>Already using the latest version (2001b).

Ok.

>Comments?

If file transfer is that important to the boxes behind the firewall/natd
that are using it.. I recommend that you set ICQ to use a small, unique
port range on every box that's running it, and forward the appropriate
ports to the appropriate boxes.