Date:      Thu, 28 Jul 2016 12:32:42 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg(8) still not part of stable/11 (yet)???

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz> wrote=
:

> Harry Schmalzbauer wrote on 07/28/2016 19:52:
>
>>   Hello,
>>
>> I just tried 11-beta2 =E2=80=93 as usual, many thanks for all your hard =
work,
>> Devs and REs!
>>
>> I'm very concerned that there's still just a bootstrap-pkg :-(
>>

> [...]
>
> Please, don't ship FreeBSD 11 without a full version of pkg(8) in the bas=
e!

> There are no plans to have pkg in base - not until base will be packaged
> too. (there are good reasons for this)
>
> Miroslav Lachman

And likely not then, either. pkg(8) is a rapidly evolving tool and only
updating it when there is a release is simply not viable. Until the
likelihood of an incompatible release of pkg(8) being more frequent than
releases on each supported branch, pkg(8) really has to stay out of base.

Yes, this is a real problem, though hardly an insurmountable one, but
putting pkg(8) in base right now or in the immediate future is simply not
practical. This has been re-stated many, many times on various mailing
lists. I'm sure that this is not the last time, either.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com