Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:18:51 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        "Grant Cooper" <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome2

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:41:53 -0600
"Grant Cooper" <grant.cooper@nucleus.com> wrote:

> Gnome die, Kde rules, yeh yeh!!! Actually, is there a gereral view which is
> better?

KDE uses more resources, if you've got a slower computer, but has a fancier interface. GNOME programs have loads of varying dependencies (though thankfully BSD's port/package system makes this much simpler than RPM's dependency hell did) and a somewhat "unique" interface that I couldn't get used to.

Actually, I'm using FVWM2 right now believe it or not. I originally got it because I wanted to run X Windows as soon as possible without waiting for KDE to download (I grabbed the mini-iso, which doesn't include X, via modem, tho don't call me a total freeloader because I have FreeBSD 4.2 Power Pak), but am starting to enjoy it although it's kind of spartan, old, and hard to configure. fvwm2's default theme in FreeBSD 4.6 is *nice* though. The default theme of fvwm2 in SuSE Linux really turned me off to it when I tried it last. The folks at FreeBSD configured it like it was a useful program instead of making a weird joke out of it. (Though if you like xeyes on full-time, more Win9x-like window decorations, and an uglier button bar you can make it that way if you want. ;-) )