Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:06:10 +0000
From:      Mark Dixon <mark@markdnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, busta@33rpm.biz
Subject:   Re: the best graphicscard for FreeBSD

--nextPart2291502.hbsl1R6aAG

On Thursday 25 Nov 2004 16:13, alex bustamante wrote:
> Yes, i know i can check out what cards are supported. I have a Nvidia card
> now, it works ok. I was just curious to know of other cards that maybe
> runs faster or some like that.

Nvidia are a good option. They supply their own (binary only) driver for=20
=46reeBSD that provides full OpenGL hardware acceleration. I have a fairly =
low=20
end card, a Geforce 256 DDR (well, it was high spec at the time), and for m=
e=20
their driver is fast and reliable.

The binary onlyness may be of concern to some but it doesn't really bother =
me.=20
=46WIW, I can imaging the code to program a GPU to do hardware assisted Ope=
nGL=20
is somewhat complex and would probably mean about as much to me in vi as th=
e=20
binary version does.

=2D-=20
Mark