Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 1995 15:02:15 -0500
From:      "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NEC 4xi CDROM - what now?

    >> BTW, as a related NEC thing, does anyone out there have a NEC
    >> CDR-200 or NEC CDR-210 (I think the first is also called the
    >> 2Vi, the second is the OEM model) that works with audio cd
    >> player commands?  As far as I can tell NEC doesn't use the
    >> SCSI-2 spec for audio cd player commands, because the only O/S
    >> that can play audio CDs with this drive for me is MSDOS/Windows
    >> using the Adaptec ASPI stuff.  Windows NT, NetBSD, and FreeBSD
    >> all barf on it.

	Once I manage to get the 4Xi probed it seems to work ok.
	I tried xcdplayer and even that worked - except maybe for
	volume control. This drive sure does like to send BUSY status
	back to the software though, especially when the disk get
	ejected! Xcdplayer could be more sane in how it handles
	error returns from ioctls rather than filling the screen with
	perror complaints.

	Looks like I've got a lot to learn about CDROM drives.

	Paul