Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 11:40:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org

information week, a glossy management droid magazine, has an article
entitled "Is Freeware Worth It?" in the august 14th issue.

no mention of FreeBSD, but rather 4 variants of Linux.  here are a couple
qoutes (without my personal comments--great restaint exercised here) to
give you all an idea of how these people think:

[begin]
[snip]
	"You get what you pay for," warns Scott Winkler, VP of operating
systems with Gartner Group Inc., and information technology advisory firm
in Stamford, Conn.

	Winkler call the freeware market "nerd central" and warns IS
managers to proceed with caution.  "That's not to say there isn't good
stuff out there," he adds. "But the quality of the code is not the whole
story.  There are many software management approaches users can take to
reduce costs.  Going to freeware should not be one of them."

[snip]

....What's more, patches and fixes generally can be found--sometimes in
minutes--on Internet discussion groups that specialize in specific
freeware programs.  Says Campbell, "I can probably fix the problem much
faster than if I were dealing with Microsoft, Borland, or Novell."

[snip]

....Last year, when the Santa Cruz Operation raised the price of SCO
Unix, the move caused barely a stir among the company's  users.  The
reason: Because SCO's products were significantly cheaper than Novell's
and Hewlett-Packard's, some technology managers had a hard time
convincing management that the SCO products were on a par with those of
other vendors.  But at a higher price, SCO's product gained respect.

[snip]
[end]

	perhaps this is the attitude that dennis and others have been
referring to--if i dont pay a lot, i dont get squat. (can we sell these
people "Fresh Air" ?? ).   without a high dollar price tag and an
acceptable name, the just cant deal with it.

	so maybe FreeBSD needs a commercial variant--Elitix--for the
elite business people who just have to have the pricy version.   (and
they let these people run companies and make decisions involving other
people and large sums of money--bloody hell)

	we really need a FreeBSD-Venting mailing list.  whos the damn
postmaster anyway ?

jmb

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346