Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:22:10 +0900 (JST)
From:      grog@lemis.com
To:        obrien@rush.aero.org (Mike O'Brien)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone noticed the new FreeBSD Netscape looping?

Mike O'Brien writes:
> 	I've noticed that the new FreeBSD-specific Netscape 4.02b<whatever>
> seems to have a tendency to go into a hard loop upon trying to exit.
> Occasionally it does it when starting.
>
> 	I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE on a machine with 16Mb of
> memory, and I'm here to tell you that this puppy page-thrashes, especially
> when you try using the newsreader section.  The solution to that is,
> "Buy more memory," or, alternatively, "Run a Web browser that's not such
> a pig."
>
> 	However, this looping behavior is worrisome because it doesn't
> happen every time, just 2/3 of the time.  This Is Not Good.

Yes, I've had the same experience.  Somebody posted a message
suggesting that you should modify .netscape/preferences.js and move
the line

user_pref("browser.startup.license_accepted", "1004 4.02b7");

to the bottom or remove it.  I tried that, and it started fine, but it
replaced the line towards the top on shutdown, and looped the next
time.  I've reported the bug to Netscape (so should everybody else who
gets it), but I haven't heard from them.

>From my point of view, Netscape 4 isn't that big a deal that I can't
do without it, so I'm waiting for a fix before I try it again.

Greg