Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 23:37:48 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Joe Warner" <jswarner@uswest.net>, "James Diefenderfer" <james@worldly.org>
Cc:        "Jerry Dunham" <jerry@dunham.org>, <cal@rushe.aero.org>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>, "Michael Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Sue Blake" <sue@welearn.com.au>, <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Still No FreeBSD

I've only just noticed this thread ...... maybe its time someone did a
hardware
HOW_NOT_TO. I'll bet the problem is hardware related .... the machine &
the machine giving all the problems is one of those proprietary disasters.
I've
lost count of the weirdness I've seen with AST / Compaq / Fujitsu / HP / IBM
/ Western / etc .... although strangely enough I have had good results with
Digital
Venturis boxes, as long as the original network card is replaced by an early
SMC
/ 3-com / Intel.  Another recipe for trouble is anything with an SiS label,
especially
videocards. Despite the warnings I've given other newbies, I just now tried
installing
4.0 in a nice little Western box, thinking they would make lovely gateway
machines ......
however this monstrosity adds a new meaning to "YUKKKKKKKKKKK !!!!!
makes me think maybe dougy should have stuck with the pizza business :)
not to fear .... the Digitals are all running nicely, and if all else fails
the old dual P100
complete mit twin MFM SCSI's & 4.0 RELEASE is sitting in the next room
waiting
patiently for its next turn at gatewaying

>    It can be pretty discouraging when you're having problems but don't
give
> up.  Be persistent and you'll eventually solve the problem.  I don't know
> about anybody else but I had my share of bad weekends when I tried to
> install Linux for the first time.  In my case, I was installing it on my
PC