Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:12:33 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, count@key.hole.fi (Bror 'Count' Heinola)
Subject:   Re: Pioneer CD changer problem

>The timeouts in the existing driver are way too short to properly
>handle CD changers.  I've got a Nakamichi on loan to test and fix
>this, but defered all my CD-ROM work until Justin's changes are in the
>tree to avoid massively diverging drivers.  The current way of timeout
>handling sucks rocks, all timeouts are wild guesses, and there's no
>way to centrally maintain them.  Each and every call to
>scsi_scsi_cmd() specifies its own idea of what timeout might be
>appropriate.

Do you have any ideas on handling this better?  Has anyone researched if
there is any kind of status information we can retrieve so we can
dynamically adjust timeout length?  The SCSI layer is in dire need
of a better error recovery strategy as well, and the timeout issue is part
of that.  Perhaps we can start tossing around ideas on how we should solve
these problems?

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations