Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 01:28:59 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: desire for ftp.internat.freebsd.org mirror

Kris Kennaway(kris@FreeBSD.ORG)@Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 01:38:05AM -0700:

> Mark Murray would know :-)
>
> I think there's a lot of stale cruft on ftp.internat.freebsd.org which
> doesn't need to be mirrored - Mark could probably tell us all which bits
> are suitable for mirroring (this should be documented somewhere for
> posterity)

<covering_in_asbestos>
mirroring of all that stuff should be migrated to rsync(1), since this
implicitly defines (in terms of standard archive'/distribution handling)
a structured "package" like layout, so we would have several collections
(freebsd-ftp/ freebsd-www/ freebsd-crypto-US/ freebsd-crypto-nonUS/ and
so on...)
thus, it would be easier to set up a mirror, the paths would be more
standard, the updates would be better in sync (since rsync really does a
good job in not just only checking if a file has a new datestamp) and
the world would be a bit better ;-)
</covering_in_asbestos>

opinions?

/k

--
> If you think sex is a pain in the ass, try a different position.
http://www.webmonster.de http://www.apache.de http://www.splatterworld.de
(NIC-HDL KR433/KR11-RIPE)