Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 17:55:25 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: new install(1) utility

[ Smarter intall which only installs files if they have changed ]

> > And, if we pre-build the compressed man-pages, we can do the comparisons
> > at install time to determine if they need to be installed or not.
>
> This is actually fairly easy to fix, and it should be.  Doing the gzip
> in the installed man page area really trashes my /usr file system!!

We are in agreement here?  Wow!

> Also, I am of the opinion that the only thing being done during the
> install phase is INSTALLING, not gzipping or otherwize munging files!
>
> Almost to the point of having a ${PROG}.stripped rule (you'r cmp thing
> in install is going to have to compare a stripped version of programs
> or it will always fail for the standard binary case).

Hmm, I had forgotten about the strip option.  Sigh..

However, for the parts of the system that bite us the most the smart install
is a good solution.  We don't have to use it for everything (or anything for
that matter), but for those files which do affect the dependencies, I think
it would be a big win.

Nate