Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 02:01:57 -0800
From:      "Paul M . Lambert" <plambert@plambert.net>
To:        Clark Shishido <clark@desktop.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD with unknown contents.

I appreciate the replies I have received so far.  I'm afraid I wasn't
very clear.

This is the conference proceedings CD that everyone received at the
O'Reilly Open Source Conference in Monterey a few months ago.  (a.k.a.
the Perl Conference).

Much of the same content is available at http://conference.oreilly.com/cd/
but I'd like to look at this CD.

I can mount it just fine on my PowerMac, and it reports it as an HFS
partition.  I can't imagine, though, that the CD handed out by O'Reilly
would _only_ contain an HFS partition, 'eh?

xhfs sees it just fine.  I've actually successfully copied the data from
it to my FreeBSD box with xhfs.

However, I'm still curious: how would I tell what partitions are on
this CD from FreeBSD?  It claims it is not a cd9660 filesystem,
which is at least partially right, since the Mac sees an HFS filesystem.
But what if there're multiple filesystems?  How can I get FreeBSD
to mount one of the other partitions?

Enquiring minds want to know!

--Paul M. Lambert

On Wed, 03 Nov 1999, Clark Shishido wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 01:29:02AM -0800, Paul M . Lambert emailed:
> > I've got a CD I'd like to look at with my FreeBSD box, but it's not
> > very normal.
> >
> > Specifically, it's the CD from the 1999 Open Source conference.  I know
> > it has an HFS partition on it among others, but am unable to get any
> > kind of reasonable info from it.
> >

> I remember reading somewhere that the CD is HFS+ not HFS so hfsutils probably won't work. Direct quote from Wilfredo Sanchez?
>
> Unless you have a PowerPC Mac running MacOS 8, you may have to wait for some cross-fertilization from Darwin, aka AppleBSD.
>
> If you don't have a Mac, I'll be more than happy to let you know what's on it.
>
> --clark

I hate bombs, terrorism, fear, plans, future and past injustices, manifestos,
popular sentiment, ignition, timetables, meetings, and poorly adjusted
weasels.  A warm hello to my friends and fans in domestic surveillance!