Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 11:13:21 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> > My point here is that, although few changes have been made, we should
> > encourage people to upgrade from 2.1.5R to the present "-stable".
>
> I can see arguments both ways.  I do not disagree with the idea, but
> for people to upgrade from 2.1.5R to 2.1.6R with a very small delta
> (particularly if it consists of changes that do not affect them) may
> not make sense.  I do not particularly care, I simply want to see some
> variant of this "well tested" branch to stay around until there is a
> 2.2 based "well tested" branch.

Unless ports (that do not depend on some fancy kernel internal present
only in -current) are also brought over, tcl is imported, etc. I
personally see very little idea in making 2.1.6. The anti-syn-attack
pacthes and other goodies just aren't enough.

[snip]

> > >But... when it comes right down to it, I don't care too much about how
> > >it's numbered, I just want to see something happen.  :-)
> >
> > I do think that numbering has some impact on the perception that the public
> > has of the product.
>
> Sure it does, but I do not want to see FreeBSD inventing numbering schemes
> simply to impress the public.

Are we really going through something *MAJOR* that we must have a greate
change in the version number? Or is it just lkike Linux - so many new
features have been added - lets jump to 2.0?

	Sander