Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 01:03:29 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mwm@mired.org (Mike Meyer), dchulhan@uwi.tt (Dale Chulhan - Home), chat@FreeBSD.ORG (chat@FreeBSD.ORG), TheTechies@onelist.com (My List), mbug@listbot.com (The Trinidad and Tobago Microsoft BackOffice Users Group)
Subject:   Re: Win NT vs UNIX ( cross fire )

At 02:35 PM 4/9/2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

>Microsoft uses a reserved field for a Microsoft-specific "cookie"
>that mapped into the Windows NT credential space.
>
>The author of Kerberos has come out and stated that they are
>using that field in a way it was not intended to be used.

All true!

>It is possible for your Kerberos client machines to use a
>Windows box as a Kerberos server.
>
>It is _not_ possible, however, to use a UNIX box as a Kerberos
>server for Windows machines, without losing some functionality.

Whenever one uses Windows machines, one loses some
functionality. ;-)

>Because they don't document how they use the field internally,
>it's also not possible to participate as a doamin controller
>in a Windows 2000 domain, unless you are a Windows box.

I'm sure that this will be reverse-engineered.

Of course, participating in Windows 2000 domains is a bad
idea to begin with, because of security problems.

I counsel my clients to avoid file sharing in general
and Windows file sharing in particular.

--Brett