Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 14:47:02 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, rnordier@nordier.com, eivind@yes.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

> >> My own concern would be the amount of code in third-party programs
> >> that uses gccisms.
> > Very few programs *should* use gccisms.  If they do, they are broke
> > since they won't build on other OS's compilers.
>
> Not necessarily; ifdef's are common:
>
>   #ifndef __GCC__
>   #define inline
>   #endif

So it's a non-issue.

> I'm not discussing what should be, I'm discussing what is.  We have a
> good percentage of software from the Linux camps, and many of their
> software authors wouldn't know a non-portable construct if it walked
> up and introduced itself in assembly code.

Fine, very little of that code is in our tree, including the ports
tree.  Most of the stuff that matters is commercial and we don't get
access to the source and run it under emulation.

> >> I guess I don't see why we're looking to change.
> > Better/faster/less buggy compiler with a much less restrictive Copyright
> > seems like a win overall to me.
>
> I've seen two compile speed tests and one emitted-code benchmark.  So
> far, they indicate that while TenDRA normally compiles faster, its
> generated code is slower than gcc.

The only benchmark was about FPU, and it might not be a problem with the
compiler.

> I don't know of any bugs in C for gcc 2.7.2.1, and it has a larger
> user base to find bugs than TenDRA or XANDF.

Finding bugs has never been a problem in GCC.  Getting them fixed is the
problem.  Fixed in the next release was the answer for almost 3
years. :(

> In what ways are these other compilers superior to gcc?

Faster, smaller, easier to maintain, and re-written.

Any software engineer knows that things re-written using the knowledge
from previous projects are almost always better than old software that
evolves into what it is.  The new software is built with the featureset
in mind, so it can be better designed into of 'kludged' to support the
newer features.

This isn't always the case, but it *is* the case when the people doing
the work are talented/experienced enough to do things correctly.  It
appears that the LCC/TenDRa folks are both.

Nate