Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:06:48 +0100
From:      Richard Smith <rdls@rdls.net>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Stable@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk geometry oddity

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 12:15:19PM +1200, Juha Saarinen wrote:
> I'm in the process of removing a concatenated vinum volume, consisting
> of a partition/slice on da0 plus the entire da1. The two drives are 36GB
> SCSI.
>
> I removed the vinum configuration with 'vinum resetconfig' and then just
> created a new partition etc. on da1 and mounted it. Then I wanted to
> reclaim the rest of the unused disk space on da0 (about 18GB) with
> /stand/sysinstall, but got this warning that I haven't seen before.
>
>[snip]
>
> Fdisk says:
>

> Disk name:      da0                                    FDISK Partition
> Editor
> DISK Geometry:  4462 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 71682030 sectors
> (35000MB)
>
> Offset       Size(ST)        End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype
> Flags
>
>          0   71687340   71687339    da0s1      3    freebsd      165
>

> Which is presumably the "more likely geometry". The amount of sectors in
> the warning message works out as 71,686,800 which is 4,770 more than
> what fdisk thinks.
>
> I don't get warning message with da1, however.
>
> Is this a side-effect of "dangerously dedicated mode"? I'm hesitant to
> make any changes to the partition table of da0 at this stage.

Yes. I got this when I moved a disk from "dangerously dedicated mode" to,
er, "not dangerously dedicated mode".

By allowing sysinstall to use a "more likely" geometry, it fixed the problem,
see also FAQ 1.17.

In case you weren't aware, "dangerously dedicated mode" is still available,
albeit not recommended, using the (purposely) undocumented 'F' key.

Rich.