Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 02:08:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        me@freebsd.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nanotechnology, was Re: NetBSD/Linux 'distribution'

> >Nanotechnology		AltaVista found about 52482 Web pages for you.
>
> [...]
>
> Interesting that you should write this while I'm reading "The Diamond Age"
> by Neal Stephenson that touches almost the same subject - namely what
> happens if you take nanotechnology to some logical extreme, coming to the
> conclusion that information in its various forms is all that's left.

Note the authors idea of "active shields" -- the synthetic "immune
system".  It seems to address the liberty issues that arise.

The question then is "How do we get there from here?".

Another interesting read is Greg Bear's "Slant"; it's about more
mundane (military) applications, as part of the backdrop.  He coins
the acronym "MGN" for "Military Grade Nano".

Another interesting read is "Blood Music".  Get the short story from
a library copy of Analog, instead of the Novelized form; it's really
a short story.  It's also about Greg Bear; it's the archetypal "Gray
Goo" scenario.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---