Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 01:23:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        mb@imp.ch (Martin Blapp)
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: move portmap(8) from /usr/sbin to /sbin

> Hi,
>
> >     should not have to run either, *even* for diskless boot.
> >
> >     What's all this about loopback mounts in fstab about?  What does
> >     that have to do with diskless startup?
>
> Ok. I just rethought everything. It seems that a move is
> unnecessary because:
>
> - Sharity light and cfs are started from /usr/loca/etc/rc.d
> - diskless stations do not have anything to export
>
> So are there any problems with the order change in /etc/rc.network
> (moving portmap and mountd to network pass_1) you can imagine ?

They don't logically belong in pass1, which is for bringing up
the network logical layer.  These run above the logical layer.

Also moving them to pass1 would bring up nfs exports before we
brought up nfs mounts.  syslogd would not be running to catch
errors, etc.  Moving things in /etc/rc is not to be taken
lightly, it has taken 10 years to get what we have there in a
shape that just DTRT for 99% of the folks.

Perhaps if you can give us some specifics on exactly what it is
that your having problems doing and/or what it is that you are
trying to do we can come up with a correct solution.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net