Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2001 09:18:53 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Coleman Kane' <cokane@micro.ti.com>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Realtek card support

Dear All,

> I usually don't recommend the 8139/29 for anything that is
> expected to work consistently. The cards work alright, but
> I prefer to stick to Digital or Intel based NICs for
> important tasks.

While it's obviously well established that these cards should be used as
doorstops (and they would even suck at that) my idea was that there may be
someone out there who can make the driver at least not hang up the line.
Force it hard to 10mbit, or even reset the card for each and every packet
sent, fork the code for this chip into src/pci/if_sucks.c, but at least make
it work.

I don't intent to use this brand for anything but toilet paper, but I keep
running into people who have these cards. If people in the store and have to
choose between a us$20 realtek and a us$100 3com they go for the realtek.
Right now we're sending them back to the store to spend the extra us$80. I'd
find the person who'd make the driver work around this card a hero.

    Kees Jan