Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:06:21 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System Tuning/Sysadmins

At 7:35 AM -0600 6/17/01, Chris Moline wrote:

>  From over here it's I would love to be a unix sysadmin but can't find anyone
>  who does training and someone who's willing to hire. I would apply to you but
>  I don't have the experience.

	I have the experience, but unfortunately no-one in Belgium seems
to be hiring SAGE Level IV Senior System Administrators.  The country
just isn't advanced enough.

	I've been looking for four months now, and except for one place
in Scotland, every place I've talked to and gotten a positive
response has been a consulting business, where they were going to
focus on using my talents outside the country, because there simply
isn't the work here within the country to support me.

	I recently interviewed at one of the leading (and fastest rising)
companies here in Belgium, and it turned out that I was interviewing
directly with the CEO himself, and the company has fifteen total
employees.  They don't have the work to hire another consultant right
now (at least, not one at my level), but they're talking about making
me an offer as Business Development Manager, because of all the
contacts I can bring.

	We all have our problems.  Some of us have problems attracting
talent, some of us are talent that hasn't yet had an opportunity to
sufficiently grow, and some of us are experienced talent in the
cultural backwater of the world where we don't really have much
prospect of finding suitable work (maybe Belgium is the third-world
country of Europe?).

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */