Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 01:35:12 +0100
From:      "Alson van der Meulen" <alm@flutnet.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade: integration with the main FreeBSD tree?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 12:08:02AM +0000, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
>   Portupgrade is a powerfull tool and I'd like to make the
>   following question:
>   	- why not integrate portupgrade with the main FreeBSD tree?

[..]

>   I'm not a programmer to talk about Ruby or other language, but I'd like to know
>   if there is any solution like:
>
>   	- change Ruby to other language so that portupgrade can be integrated in FreeBSD?
Might be hard to do, or the auther might disagree. The same goes for
cvsup, that is written in modula-3, an even more obscure language :P

Cvsup isn't in the base system either, just installing as port/package
works fine too. Maybe sysinstall could suggest to install cvsup and/or
portupgrade packages by default?

>   	- integrate Ruby with the main FreeBSD tree and then integrate portupgrade too?
Ruby is GPL, I guess yet another GPL package won't be imported

>   I see no problem at all to use portupgrade port, but I think that it is a
>   great funcionality to FreeBSD if portupgrade was part of it.
Sure it is

Just my 0.02 euro,
Alson