Date:      Fri, 04 Jun 1999 09:58:30 +0900
From:      UEBAYASHI Masao <masao@nf.enveng.titech.ac.jp>
To:        mavery@mail.otherwhen.com
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First interview hits the web..

> Don't know about Japan, but my Chineese friends put family name
> first, followed by the personal name.

We, Japanese ordinarily say family name first, whenever using Japanese
or in Japan. Here, being in Japan means speaking Japanese. Our Japan
island is whole Japan. Here is little foreigners or those who speak
not in Japanese. Thus, we are isolated. :D

However, when using English (or other languages which used in
different cultures) the situation goes *very chaotic*. If be obedient
to other cultures, we have to say personal name fitst, differing from
our original naming custom. Otherwise, we can put family name first
naturally.

The style of putting family name first *in English* is rather ususal
*in the Internet*. Like this,

  ``OBUSHI Keizo''
  ``NOMO Hideo''
  ``ASAMI Satoshi'' (actually ASAMI san doesn't use this)

or ``UEBAYASHI Masao''. Those who choose this style seem to me arguing
their own culture. Especially, when we are in Japan, why we should be
subject to other cultures, if using other languages? :D

I use this ``FAMILY Person'' style. I personally think the common word
in the internet is English, but there is no country or border. So I
write my name in English (ASCII), trying to be nearer to our original
custom.

Really unfortunately, there are many fashions how to write Japanese
names in English in the Internet. And Which to choose is depending on
who say / write it. We can empilically recognize which is family name
or vice versa. You may be able to identify family name, written in
``FAMILY Person'' style. Otherwise you may not. If so, ignore it!

Anyway, I'm very sorry for all of you confusing Japanese naming
scheme...

> When someone from the other part of the world introduces him or
> herself, are THEY aware of the difference in syntax?  If so, are
> they giving you their name in their syntax or yours?  And how do you
> politely ask what they have done?  A journalist shouldn't have any
> problems.... they aren't known for being nice to start with, and have
> professional reasons to get the names right.

We think it as usual that foreigners cannot speak in Japanese
correctly. Japanese is too difficult to learn, even for us. :D

UEBAYASHI Masao

BTW,

   http://www.nikkei.co.jp/cyspecial/stories/ca961002_01.html

picture changes?