Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:41:42 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disabling kernel modules

Hello FreeBSD users,

Several documents that I have read which were related to securing FreeBSD
recommended disabling loadable kernel modules. I haven't done this because I
do not know how FreeBSD works with modules.
I come from the Linux world where, unlike in FreeBSD, modules are used very
extensively.
Would someone be so kind as to tell me what problems may occur by disabling
kernel modules?
I currently do not manually start any modules, but I have noticed that
modules are compiled when I rebuild the system. Are these modules loaded
automatically? If so, will disabling loadable module support disable the
services that hese modules provide, or will they be automatically compiled
into the kernel, or are those modules unimportant, or...?
Thanks for help ahead of time.
I would like to have a unnecessarily secure server (if such a thing is
possible), but don't want to kill the server while securing it.

Charles Burns