Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:36:49 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SB 128/ES137x Problems

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 12:56:33PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> William Law <willaw79@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Uh, PnP support for a *PCI* card?
> > Of course, why not?
>
> Because PnP support has no relation to PCI whatsoever.
>
> > Just try it, and it usually works.
>
> Sure. You could also plant a field of rice. It won't add anything
> for the PCI card, but it will hardly hurt.
>
> > Don't think of it as ISA PNP kind of thing.
>
> "controller pnp0" *is* an ISA PnP thing.

Seems it's not needed even for ISA cards, well my ISA PnP modem
anyway. Just out of curiosity I commented out the

	controller pnp

line and rebuilt my kernel (yes, I did run config(8) with ``-r''),
rebooted and sure enough, as you said, it still found my SB PCI 128.

However, it *also* still found my modem.

Thinking that this was just the modem retaining it's config across a
soft reboot I powered down, waited a couple of minutes, then powered
up again. Still it found my modem.

Hmmm, beginning to doubt I'd done a ``config -r'' I checked the
compile directory; pnp.o was not there (it was before) but pnp.h was,
which suggests that there is some PnP code elsewhere in the kernel.

Any ideas, I'm cuious to get to the bottom of this.

FreeBSD marder-1 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0:
Fri Feb 18 18:14:43 GMT 2000
root@marder-1:/usr/src/sys/compile/MARDER-1  i386

> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000