Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:12:59 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror Issues

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Joe Kelsey wrote:
>

>> So, after loading the mirror stuff, I regularly lock up the system by
>> trying to perform simple activities on the mirror.  What do I need to do
>> differently?
>>
>> Here are the relevant dmesg lines:
>> atapci0: <SiI 3512 SATA150 controller> port
>> 0xa000-0xa007,0x9800-0x9803,0x9400-0x9407,0x9000-0x9003,0x8800-0x880f
>> mem 0xfba00000-0xfba001ff irq 18 at device 13.0 on pci0
>>

> I did almost the same thing you did with gmirror on 6.2-release on amd64
> the other day and it worked. There were several complaints about "SiI"
> hardware in the past, though - you might want to search the lists.

Thank you for the suggestion, but it does not help.  There is some
traffic on the list about the 3112, but I have a 3512, which does not
have any list traffic about bugs.

The major thing that needs doing is a detailed explanation of how to
take two brand new disk drives and mirror them.  Nothing in the
documentation discusses this.  Do you have to create file systems on the
drives first?  Do you have to use fdisk to slice them up?  Is there a
size limit on drives?  I am trying to mirror two 400G drives, is this
supported?  There is no information anywhere that I can find about these
topics.

/Joe