Date:      Wed, 12 May 2010 06:26:44 +0300
From:      Ed Jobs <oloringr@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd routing issue...

--nextPart4920005.JgmZsTdu4Q

On Wednesday 12 of May 2010 06:07, Glenn Sieb wrote:
> I'm getting a route added upon reboot with the hostname of the box,
> going to lo0.
> It's preventing things like, pinging itself. I can manually delete the
> route, but.. where is it being set to begin with?!

well, that behaviour is what i would expect. After all, the machine knows t=
hat=20
to ping its own ip, it has to use the lo0 interface.
It just resolves your ip with the hostname of the machine.
So as far as i see, this is the intended behaviour.

(You can use netstat -rn to see the actual ip and not hostnames.)

If you can't ping localhost, i'd say that the problem lies elsewere.=20
(firewalls probably)
You can check with tcpdump to see what happens and your pings don't get a=20
reply.

=2D-=20
Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard=
 to=20
understand.