Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:57:31 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Doug Barton" <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Stable List" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mergemaster exception list

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:17:43 -0700 (PDT), Doug Barton wrote:

>Or worse, complete inability to reach the box in the case of a
>remote upgrade. This is just about the best example I've seen in recent
>days of why I feel justified in "enforcing" the policy of making the
>administrator LOOK at the changes before installing.

I understand your point, but this still doesn't change that this
is "your" view of how things should be done. Each
person/machine/situation has it's own set of needs. some people
do remote upgrades... many others never will. For the majority
of people who never even read the man pages for a particular
software they will get the default behavior. For the rest of us
an exception list is what we woud like.

I am thinking I am going to do a "pre mergemaster" script. It
would read a file in the form:
D /some file
C /some other file
M /original /copy to

D = delete from TEMPROOT location
C = copy from TEMPROOT to production location
M = move the file from TEMPROOT to arbitrary location.

francisco
Moderator of the Corporate BSD list
http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate