Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 07:25:39 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Marc Ramirez <mrami@mrami.homeunix.org>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Aryan and Dravidian (was: French, Flemish and English (was: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha clock.c))

Rahul Siddharthan said on May 25, 2002 at 06:52:36:
> > > "tesan."  And a name like "Krishna"
> >
> > Wasn't that originally Krsna, with a fluid instead of a vowel?
>
> Yes, it should be written Krshna (the sh is one of the two Sanskrit
> sh letters,

And now that you mention it, "Sanskrit" too is really "Sanskrta" with
no vowel after the "r", and a short "a" after the "t".

And while we're on that subject :) the "l" in "Tamil" is not an "l",
but a sound which doesn't have an exact equivalent in other languages
(except Malayalam).  It's something between an "l", an unrolled "r"
and a "y" -- perhaps something like the Japanese "l/r" sound.  It's
sometimes transliterated "zh" in English but that's even more unlike
the true sound than "l".

- Rahul