Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 1995 16:12:19 -0500
From:      Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        "Alex R.N. Wetmore" <aw2t+@andrew.cmu.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NEC 4xi CDROM - what now?

>> BTW, as a related NEC thing, does anyone out there have a NEC CDR-200 or
>> NEC CDR-210 (I think the first is also called the 2Vi, the second is
>> the OEM model) that works with audio cd player commands?  As far as I
>> can tell NEC doesn't use the SCSI-2 spec for audio cd player commands,
>> because the only O/S that can play audio CDs with this drive for me is
>> MSDOS/Windows using the Adaptec ASPI stuff.  Windows NT, NetBSD, and
>> FreeBSD all barf on it.
>
>I have a nec210, and I have the same hassle as you. EZ-SCSI from adaptec
>will play music with no problem; so will windoze (if I remember correctly).
>
>I get all sorts of barf if I try it with FreeBSD-current.
>I have a bug report in for this...

I recently bought a NEC 3Xi CD-ROM, and I've played with the audio commands
on it with a bit.  This is what I discovered:

- There are two types of audio CD play commands in the SCSI spec.  One says
  "play audio starting at track n, ending at track n".  The other says "play
  audio starting at this minute, second, ending at this minute, second".
  NEC CD-ROM drives apparantly do NOT support the "play track" command (at
  least the two I had access to did not).  However, I believe someone
  (Alastair, perhaps?) had ported versionof of xcdplayer that used the minute/
  second play commands, and that worked under NetBSD for me.

--Ken