Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 15:45:55 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, Shimon@i-Connect.Net
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pppd Drops Under Heavy Load

>> Some buffers are scaled for 115200 bps max.  Double RS_IBUFSIZE and TTYHOG
>> for 230400 bps (the latter is optional and best not done if you only use
>> kernel ppp).  Also, perhaps user mode ppp depends on 115200 really being
>> 115200.
>
>Thanx.  I found these in /usr/src/sys/sys/tty.h and
>/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/cy.c.

You want the RS_IBUFSIZE in isa/sio.c.

>The way the board provides 230,400 is by using a faster crystal.  There is
>no
>way for software to know how fast the bits flow in the wire.

It could output stuff and time how long it takes.

>Although larger buffers are better for faster wires, why the disconnects?
>There is flow control in the RS-232 and it is actually active.

Don't know.  It should work if both sides honour flow control.  The problem
that I was thinking of occurs on overloaded systems without flow control.

>P.S.  Neophite question?  How do I maintain these deltas on my local tree,
>so that the next cvs checkout does not wipe them out?  In this case it looks
>as if the total increase in memory footprint will be 1.25KB... but I would
>like to knowwhat is the best rule to follow.

There is no simple way.  I use separate diffs and reapply them after each
update.

Bruce