Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:39:58 +0200
From:      "Gunnarsson, Mikael" <Mikael.Gunnarsson@octapharma.se>
To:        "Christopher Rued" <c.rued@xsb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Controlling access at the Ethernet level

> I just had a simple thought: can you just physically unplug
> the net=
work
> cable for the particular room from your router?  You can't
> s=
teal service
> w/out link.  Not as nice as a programmatic solution, but=
 probably as
> effective; I guess you'd just have to make sure each cab=
le is labeled.

But even if it's just a small campus it would require a=
 lot of communication over the Nike protocol to plug/unplug cables.. It w=
ould probably require several full-time persons if it's larger than a few=
 buildings.

I.e. while an effective solution, it's not very practical =
for the administrators..

Mikael

This email and =
any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for th=
e use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have=
 received this email in error please notify the system manager. This mess=
age contains confidential information and is intended only for the indivi=
dual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate=
, distribute or copy this e-mail.