Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 00:34:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      devet@adv.IAEhv.nl (Arjan de Vet)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Direct UUCP stopped working but UUCP via PPP still works

Hi,

I recently bought a new PC and upgraded from 2.1.0 to 2.1.5 at the same
time. Everything kept working fine except for UUCP transfers directly over
the modem: I get an enormous amount of checksum errors.

However, PPP (iij-ppp) over the same modem works and UUCP over TCP/IP via
that PPP link gives *no* checksum problems. The only strange thing is that
in this case the ppp program starts consuming around 100% CPU time
(according to top) whereas a full speed ftp session over the same link
only gives ppp a CPU usage of 2%.

I already tried the following:

- Replace the 2.1.5 uucico binary with the 2.1.0 one, no difference;
- Reboot with a 2.1.0 kernel, no difference;
- Lower the speed between the PC and the modem to 19k2 (normally I use
  57k6). But then I get:

Oct  6 21:58:08 adv /kernel: sio0: 609 more tty-level buffer overflows (total 609)
Oct  6 21:58:09 adv /kernel: sio0: 466 more tty-level buffer overflows (total 1075)
Oct  6 21:58:11 adv /kernel: sio0: 14 more tty-level buffer overflows (total 1089)

- Use an other protocol than the default i-protocol, no difference.

The other side did not change anything, and my configuration files are
exactly the same as they were on the 2.1.0 system.

Does anybody recognize these symptoms? Is it a hardware problem? If yes,
why do I only see it with direct UUCP and not with UUCP over TCP/IP?

Arjan