Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 05:41:43 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Speaking of packaging tools..

On Sat, Apr 25, 1998 at 08:27:50PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Neat - but do we really want to go in the direction of packages that
> > can contain trojans?  Personally I wouldn't like running a
>
> Erm..  We've not only already gone in that direction, we reached the
> destination long ago and have spent enough time at the location to
> build a small town there.

*grin*

OK, so my wording was lousy.  What I *meant* is "do we want the
ultimate destination for the package system to be one where you run a
random executable some shadowy person has put on a web- or FTP-site,
instead of having nice, signed packages with warnings when they
include install-scripts or go outside their alloted filesystem arena?"

And yeah, I know I right now should have been working on integrating
either the nice pkg_add signature code lying on the harddrive of my
co-worker on right (take a bow, Rmz) or integrating the DLM, but
unfortunately a system crashed and I have to spend the time
re-developing some non-FreeBSD-related code.  :-(

Eivind.