Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:14:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        rwc@cscfx.sytex.com (Richard Cramer)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, iap@vma.cc.nd.edu, dclinux@wauug.erols.com
Subject:   Re: SONY DAT DRIVES - NOT SUPPORTED for "UNIX" - BUYER BEWARE !!!

> Warning to ALL!
>
> We just got off the phone with Sony Tech Support re: their SCSI DAT Drive,
> Model No. SDT-5000/BM & SDT-5200/BM and a problem we were having with a
> new drive we just received from TechDATA.  Sony said they did not support
> any "Unix" operating system, specifically Linux and FreeBSD which were
> "shareware" (obviously he doesn't know what shareware is).  Unless we wished
> to discuss problems found on Windows, Windows95, or WindowsNT he could offer
> no help!!

Whom did you talk with at Sony?  I'll cut my buyer lose on them and
explain that as an OEM I'll be blacklisting there products from all
systems for actions like this.

> I hope everyone in the "Unix" environment takes note of their position and
> reacts appropriately with their buying decisions.

So noted, Sony DAT products just got removed from my proposed new product
offerings.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD