Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 06:47:09 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current projects...

On Sun, Jun 21, 1998 at 01:06:13PM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
> At 05:54 AM 6/20/98 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
>
> I thought you were a newbie yourself.  I'll take advice on this from an
> expert, but from another newbie?  Forget it.  The blind leading the blind,
> and all that, dontcha know.

Perfectly correct. But the issue here is separate to that one, and does
not negate it.

My advice to you was as a friend, an equal, in private. I expected our
usual lively private exchange, but certainly would not have said what I
said had it been in public.

If you deliberately disregard the warnings given in the handbook and
elsewhere, that's your business and who am I to warn you that it might be
dangerous.

But realise the likely outcomes:

1. You will not be in a position to get any support, even if you did the
upgrade properly. There are instructions about what is expected of
someone running FreeBSD-current, which include participating in that
mailing list for several weeks before downloading, and it is also
stated that it is not supported.

2. You will be misleading others if you encourage them to do this.

By the way. Please do not quote anyone's private mail in a public forum
without their consent. Many people get pretty stroppy over things like
that. In countries where litigation is popular there have been quite
heated debates over this kind of thing, so if you happen to believe this
newbie's warning in this case, be very careful.

In this particular case, I feel that part of our extended private
joking banter has been misrepresented as an official instruction.
Further, you removed some of the context in which I indicated that
this was a wild reaction made within minutes of waking up at 5am.
I had hoped to save you a great deal of trouble by delaying my
wake-up coffee and bathroom visit to write to you personally, in
case you were still on line and might reconsider or at least be
delayed by a little fun debate.

Never again.

You sound like you don't want to take responsibility for yourself let
alone others, so why should I even bother. Of course you will do whatever
you like, and so will I. You're on your own now, mate.

BTW, I don't ruffle well before 7am. Stick that up your FAQ.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-