Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 16:32:15 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Niall Smart <njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcp states and sysctl's

Niall Smart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't think a shutdown(2) sysctl is necessary.
>
> a) the BSD stack is currently compliant in this regard, if
>    anything need's changing it's the client.

	Finger-pointing doesn't help. If there is a problem we can deal with at
the server level I want to be able to deal with it.

> b) no-one has produced any evidence to show that all
>    these sockets in TIME_WAIT_2 are actully having a
>    negative impact in performance on the system.  Actually,
>    I would seriously hope not, because otherwise this
>    is a relatively easy DoS.  (Though probably not as
>    effective as a SYN flood.)

	My main concern is fd's right now (mostly due to a project I'm working
on :). When exactly does the fd associated with a connection like this
get allocated and when does it get released?

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
***   Proud designer and maintainer of one of the world's largest