Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 04:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/21155: Load average (either with uptime both top) go over 1.00 without any load

The following reply was made to PR kern/21155; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: <riccardo@torrini.org>, <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject: Re: kern/21155: Load average (either with uptime both top) go over
 1.00 without any load
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:24:09 +1000 (EST)

 On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 mike@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

 > Synopsis: Load average (either with uptime both top) go over 1.00 without any load
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
 > State-Changed-By: mike
 > State-Changed-When: Wed Aug 15 09:42:58 PDT 2001
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >
 > I believe this was a problem with the initial SMPng work.  In any
 > case, I haven't seen this happen in 5.0-CURRENT in a long time, so
 > I'm closing this PR.

 This has been reported again, for 4.3 in PR 27334.  It is believed to
 be caused by a process getting in sync with the load average sampler.
 If this is the cause, then the problem has very little to do with
 SMPng, but later SMPng work may have reduced it by changing the timing
 of rescheduling.

 Bruce