Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:16:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        spork@super-g.com (spork)
Cc:        jkf@wolfnet.org, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot-time scsi probe problem

spork wrote...
> I haven't read the list in a while, but I just started putting 3.1-REL on
> a new news machine with an ASUS-P2B-LS mobo.  It has the internal 7890 and
> a 2940-U2W card as well.  I get the exact same results with about one in
> five warm boots.
>
> Is there any more news on this problem?  Some info I haven't seen posted
> before follows:
>
> 7890 bios version: 2.01
> 2940-U2W bios version: 2.01.0
>
> 'boot -v' shows the hang right after trying to talk to the first target
> after the "waiting for scsi devices to settle" message.  Since I wrote it
> all down, I'll share...

It's generally a good idea to read the -scsi list.

> (noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1): scsi bus reset delivered 0 SCBs aborted
> (noperiph:ahc1:0:-1:-1): scsi bus reset delivered 0 SCBs aborted
> ahc1: Selection Timeout on A:3. 1 SCB aborted
> ahc0: Selection Timeout on A:5. 1 SCB aborted
> *(this repeats, alternating from one controller to another with a random
> number appearing each time after the "A:")
> ahc0: target 0 using 16 bit transfers
> ahc0: target 0 synchronous at 20.0 MHz, offset=0xf
>
> That's it.  Each time the target may be different, but it always hangs
> right after the first "target" message and always on ahc0, which is the
> built-in 7890.
>
> I also didn't see the problem until I compiled my own kernel.  After many
> reboots on the generic kernel I never saw this.

It's a timing issue of some sort.

Try a -stable snapshot from *after* March 23rd, and you should be able to
boot fairly regularly.  The problem hasn't been fixed, but Justin committed
a work-around that seems to eliminate it most of the time.

I don't think he has heard anything back from Adaptec on the problem yet.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com