Date:      Wed,  9 Aug 2000 01:09:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      brett@lariat.org
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   conf/20498: All FreeBSD systems trigger massive late-night activity at the same times

>Number:         20498
>Category:       conf
>Synopsis:       All FreeBSD systems trigger massive late-night activity at the same times
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
All FreeBSD systems, for a very long time, have come with a fixed /etc/crontab
which triggers system security and statistics-gathering scripts at the same
time on each system. A room full of FreeBSD machines is a sight and sound to
behold at this "witching hour." The sudden churning of the hard drives, and the
slowdown in the entire network (especially if the machines are mail, news, or
Web servers) can be quite dramatic. So can the power surge; we see the load
indicators on our UPSes peak at that time.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
It'd be a good idea to randomize the times at which these scripts are
triggered at install time. The run times should be distributed within
a 3-hour period -- say, from 2 to 5 AM.