Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:50:25 -0400
From:      Shashi Joshi <shashi@Shift-F1.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ideal Server configuration??

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a new system for web server. I wonder if anyone has
come up with what a medium duty web server/mail server with dynamic page
generation (cgi scripts) whould have. Here is my initial start:

	Pentium II 450 MHz
	256MB
	4 SCSI 9.1GB each

I intend to be under $1500 without the price of hard disks, if possible.

What are the other factor in hardware that should be taken in account for a
web server?
e.g. compare along the following lines:
1. PII 450 vs PIII 450
   PIII 450 vs PIII 500
2. 256MB vs 512MB
3. L2 cache of 512K vs 2MB
4. 2 18GB SCSI disks vs 4 9.1GB SCSI disks
5. SCSI motherboard vs. separate SCSI adapter?

I am trying to see the performance gain in each option, how much important
each is. e.g. increasing the memory is always better than increasing the
CPU speed, when it is already 450MHz (which is good enough).

How much load can the following systems take in terms of email server AND
web server. The email will only for the clients of web hosting.

	PII 450
	256MB
	SCSI adapter (non-SCSI motherboard)

	PII 450