Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 19:48:20 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proper way to upgrade packaes from ports

in message <20021007223945.03BFB5D04@ptavv.es.net>,
wrote Kevin Oberman thusly...

> The biggest down-side is the requirement that I run portsdb -Uu to
> update the databases after a cvsup of the ports tree. This is a pretty
> CPU intensive operation and can take a while on an older system.

as i understand portsupgrade, "portsdb -U" would create the the
index as if you had typed "make index" in your ports ($PORTSDIR).

if you don't have the INDEX reflecting the current ports tree,
things may go out of hand.  such making of INDEX is part of freebsd
ports (not portsupgrade).  actually, after INDEX is made, "portsdb
-u" finishes lighting fast ... in comparison.

for me, creating the INDEX takes less time than updating it cvsup
over a dialup connection.  i don't have problem w/ the creation
process being CPU intensive; bottleneck on my system is heavy disk
activity.

  - parv