Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:12:17 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suspend/resume issues on ThinkPad T41 under 5.2.1-RELEASE

On 13 Jun 2004 at 20:51, Randy Bush wrote:

> > killall dhclient, route flush, ifconfig em0 down
>
> perhaps the route -n flush should come after getting
> em0 down.  and, before downing it, i also
>
>    ifconfig em0 0.0.0.0
>
> so nothing is sticky

That worked better for me. "route -n flush" was instantaneous.

To recap, I am trying this:

kill -TERM `cat /var/run/dhclient.pid`
ifconfig em0 0.0.0.0
ifconfig em0 down
route -n flush
ifconfig em0 up
dhclient em0

> then, to kick it off, i can
>
>    dhclient em0 ath0

This is where I have trouble still.  /var/log/messages is showing
three items related to em0:

dhclient: send_packet: Network is down

The above repeats several times, then:

em0: The EEPROM Checksum Is Not Valid
em0: Unable to initialize the hardware
dhclient: New IP Address (em0): 10.0.0.25
dhclient: New Subnet Mask (em0): 255.255.255.0
dhclient: New Broadcast Address (em0): 10.0.0.255
dhclient: New Routers: 10.0.0.1

Yet, ifconfig em0 shows no IP address and no mask....  Attempts to
manually set the em0 IP address result in the checksum error messages
shown above.

I am confused by this.

I know that the the solution, at boot time, to this issue is to add
the following to /boot/loader.conf:

hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"

But I have no idea how to solve this at resume time.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/