Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:19:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        paulo@nlink.com.br
Cc:        dan@math.berkeley.edu, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  FBSD & PII

Same here: OS/2, FBSD 2.2.1, FBSD 3.0-SNAP-may-1997. The nice thing is
that the home directories are on a separate partition and can be used in
both version of the opsys.

Nick

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Jin Guojun wrote:

 > There is nothing to be worried if you have some free disk space --
 > (DOS fdisk partition, or called slice under FreeBSD).
 > FreeBSD installation will take care the rest thing for you.
 >
 > I have a disk runs DOS / FreeBSD 2.1.7 / FreeBSD 2.2.6 / FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP.
 > The boot manager will prompt you to boot one of them with F1/F2/F3/F4 key.
 >
 > 	-Jin
 >
 > :> I'm thinking to start use FBSD 3.0 with multi-processor but I would like
 > :> to have in another partition my good friend FBSD 2.2.6 :-), is this
 > :> possible? Did anyone do this?
 > :
 > :It should be possible in theory, but I anticipate serious problems in
 > :practice.  You would have to make sure that you always used the slice
 > :specific disk device names and never the "compatibility" slice.
 > :
 > :For example, your fstab would have to specify one of /dev/sd0s{1,2,3,4}f
 > :instead of /dev/sd0f.  I am not sure how you would manage slice
 > :selection during bootstrap, selecting the initial swap partition, and
 > :initial mounting of the root file system.  I would worry about disk
 > :utilities (such as the disklabel program) always doing the right thing.
 > :I would worry about the FreeBSD installation process always using the
 > :specified slice.

building: 27A
address:  STA-ISIS, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy
tel.:     +39 332 78 9549
fax.:     +39 332 78 9185