Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 03:05:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD System Requirements for 3.3-RC

> I started reading the system requirements for 3.3-RC and the first
> thing I noticed was that 5MB is still listed as the memory
> requirements. It is more or less common knowledge that you require 8MB
> minimum and 12MB in general to install FreeBSD. It seems like this
> statement should be corrected. The 3.3-RC INSTALL.txt reads as
> follows:
>
> FreeBSD requires a 386 or better processor to run (sorry, there is no
> support for '286 processors) and at least 5 megs of RAM to install
> and 4 megs of RAM to run. You will need at least 100MB of free hard
> drive space for the most minimal installation.  See below for ways of
> shrinking existing DOS partitions in order to install FreeBSD.

If this is going to be re-written, it should probably changed much more
than just the numbers.  I have several FreeBSD systems (3.2+) running
quite comfortably in 4MB, and they use much less than the 100MB "minimum".
True, they're all fairly limited systems running specific jobs, but they
do work...  On the other hand, my 3.2 Postgres server has 256MB, and could use
more...  This "minimum requirements" section should probably have several
categories -- embedded system, firewall/router, general network stuff,
file server, and full-blown-has-more-features-than-god workstation.

--mike